Hit and run accidents often involve pedestrians as well as other automobiles on the road. New York pedestrian accident lawyers are often amazed at how many individuals file claims as pedestrians who are involved with these types of crashes. Many people don’t realize that pedestrians have certain rights, and they’re much different from the rights of those behind the wheel of a car.
At CarAccidentCases.com, we believe it’s important for you as a pedestrian to know your rights when you’re walking down the street. Knowing your rights can protect you from common pedestrian accident injuries, but it will also help you if you’re ever involved in a hit and run. These rights include:
- Having the right of way in crosswalks
- Having the right of way on sidewalks, whether they’re private or public
- Having the right of way on all roads, including highways
In addition, when you’re hit by a car in a hit and run, you also have additional rights. Most pedestrians are injured in these types of wrecks, and it’s not unusual for drivers to flee the scene; especially if they’re uninsured or if they are intoxicated. Maybe you’ve recently been involved in a pedestrian accident, and you have a lot of questions, such as:
- If I’m hit by a car while walking, can I go to the emergency room for my injuries?
- As a pedestrian, do I have the right to contact a New York pedestrian accident lawyer to file a personal injury claim?
- Should I report my pedestrian accident to the police?
At CarAccidentCases.com, we don’t want you to be confused about pedestrian rights. You have many of the same rights victims have in car accident cases, and you can read more about those rights by clicking here.
It’s also important for you to remember your duties as a pedestrian. They include making sure you’re using the proper sidewalks when they’re available, obeying all traffic signals and remain aware of your surroundings while you’re walking. Taking these simple steps can help you avoid becoming involved in a pedestrian accident in the future.
If you would like more information on how to file a personal injury claim after a hit and run accident, please refer to this article: New York Car Accident Lawyers Advise about Filing a Personal Injury Claim in a Hit and Run Accident.
You’ll find additional information on various car accident and pedestrian accident topics on our blog. Topics such as:
- What to do if you’re hit by a car while riding a bike
- How to file a claim after a car accident
- Contacting a New York City car crash attorney